Welcome to Arizona!
Arizona Theatre Company is thrilled to have you join us and thank you for sharing your talents with our communities!
We wanted to take the opportunity to share with you some of our local favorites. Here are staff picks to this amazing state! Enjoy!
Did you know …
- The saguaro cactus blossom is Arizona’s official state flower.
- The bolo tie is the official state neckware.
- The world’s largest solar telescope is located at Kitt Peak National Observatory in Sells, AZ.
- There is more than 1 billion years worth of rock exposed at the Grand Canyon.
- Women in Arizona were granted the right to vote 8 years before national suffrage.
- Arizona is the only state besides Hawaii that does not observe Daylight Savings time.
- Arizona Theatre Company is the official state theatre.
- It can take up to 100 years for a saguaro cactus to grow an arm.
- Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh with an astrograph telescope at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff.
- The roof of the Capitol building of Arizona is copper, equivalent to 4.8 million pennies.
Some words you may come across that can be tricky!
chil – ee re – yey – no
a stuffed chili pepper, typically battered and deep-fried, found in Mexican cuisine
also known as “jumping cactus,” for its tendency to jump from the parent to the ground, to your skin if you’re not careful!
hee – luh mon-ster
an orange & black, venomous beaded lizard native to the Southwest
hah – vuh – lee – nuh
medium-sized animals that look similar to a wild boar
suh – wahr – oh
a giant cactus that can grow up to 66 feet in height and whose branches are shaped like a candelabra
also known as “the White Dove of the Desert,” Mission San Xavier del Bac is a historic Spanish Catholic mission located about 10 miles south of Tucson
All Things Tucson
Brooklyn 🏙️ 🍕 ⭐
534 N 4th Ave
Pizza joint utilizing solar power with famed garlic knots, housemade gelato & oven-fired pies
El Charro 🏙️ ⭐
311 N Court Ave
Family-run Mexican cafe serving Sonoran-style fare inside a charming, century-old home
Five Points 🏙️ 🍳
756 S Stone Ave
Sun-lit, modern outpost featuring New American dishes, espresso drinks & a small grocery market
50 E Broadway Blvd
Upscale Mexican fare & agave-based cocktails distinguish this eatery in a chic & rough-hewn space
Reilly’s Craft Pizza 🏙️ 🍕
101 E Pennington St
Modern Italian eatery in a vintage space with vaulted ceilings, a beer garden & a basement bar
Seis Kitchen (130 South Avenida del Convento #100) 🏙️ 🌶️ ⭐
Casual outpost featuring classic Mexican eats & cocktails in a modern interior, plus patio seating
The Hub (266 Congress Street) 🏙️
Homemade ice cream & New American fare headline at this hip spot with a young crowd & DJ-spun tunes
The Little One (151 N Stone Ave) 🏙️ 🌶️ 🌱 ⭐
Mexican breakfast & lunch favorites are served in generous portions at this snug, busy weekday café
Beaut Burger (267 South Avenida del Convento)
Made in-house, of grains, beans, vegetables, walnuts, spices. Served on a slow-fermented bun, baked daily.